3. REVIEW EXERCISES
Exercise: 3.1. Review COUPLE and PAIR
Make a choice between TO GET A COUPLE/PAIR OF … to answer the question. For example:
Why did you go to the market? -stakes-
TO GET A COUPLE OF STAKES.
Why did you go to the store? -slacks-
TO GET A PAIR OF SLACKS.
1. Why did you go to the mall? -gloves-
2. Why did you go to the post office? -stamps-
3. Why did you go to Woolworth? -socks-
4. Why did you go to the bank? -check books-
5. Why did you go to the drugstore? -new batteries-
6. Why did you go to the clothing store? -T-shirts-
7. Why did you go to the shoe-store? -shoes-
8. Why did you go to the store? -a new UPS-
Exercise: 3.2. Review PASS and SPEND
Use HE PASSED/SPENT … to complete the fragments. For example:
-$5 for the tickets-
HE SPENT $5 FOR THE TICKETS.
-two days at the beach-
HE SPENT TWO DAYS AT THE BEACH.
-the sugar to me-
HE PASSED THE SUGAR TO ME.
1. -the salt to us-
4. -twelve dollars for a license-
2. -fifteen dollars yesterday-
5. -the other bicycle-
3. -two weeks in Mumbai-
6. -the house-
7. -the examination-
9. -a napkin to her-
8. -two months abroad-
10. -forty dollars for a pen-
Exercise: 3.3. Review WAIT, EXPECT & HOPE
Answer the questions with the expressions offered. To questions with WILL respond with I
HOPE … . For example:
Who're you waiting for? -my friend-
I'M WAITING FOR MY FRIEND.
When do you expect him? -at four-
I EXPECT HIM AT FOUR.
Will he be here soon?
I HOPE HE WILL.
1. Who're you waiting for? -my wife-
6. When do you expect to get a job? -next
2. When do you expect her? -at noon-
7. Will you go to college this fall?
3. When do you expect to get a
8. Will you be here on Thursday? -next month-
4. Will you get a degree this spring?
9. What're you doing here? -wait for her-
5. Who're you waiting for? -my sister-
10. Will she be here soon?